- 1997/to present - Full Professor, Department of Condensed Matter Physics, Universidad Autónoma de Madrid.
- 1991/1997 - Professor, Department of Condensed Matter Physics, Universidad Autónoma de Madrid.
He has worked as Visiting Scientist in several different renowned centres, like CEA-Saclay (2001), Fritz-Haber-Institut (2006), Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (2008), Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory (2014-15) and as Scientific Associate at Hasylab-DESY (1989-90). EGM has been invited speaker in over 30 international conferences and has been chair of the organizing committees of ECOSS19 (Madrid, 2000) and ACSIN10 (Granada, 2009) international conferences, besides being active in many Conference Advisory Boards.
Honors and Awards
- Alexander-von-Humboldt Fellow, member of a number of scientific societies (APS, AVS, DPG) and Fellow of the Institute of Physics (UK).
- Electronic properties of surfaces and interfaces using high-resolution angle-resolved photoemission spectroscopy (ARPES) and other ancillary techniques.
- Analysis of surface phase transitions, especially metal-insulator transitions, surface Rashba systems and magnetic properties using surface methods.
- Applications of Synchrotron Radiation to Surfaces and Interfaces, especially Surface X-ray Diffraction and ARPES.
1. Physical Properties of Surface Silicides, E. G. Michel, Chapter 14 (pages 177-228) of the book "Surface and Interface Science", vol. 3: Properties of Composite Surfaces: Alloys, Compounds, Semiconductors, K. Wandelt Ed. Wiley (2014). [URL]
2. Competing charge ordering and Mott phases in a correlated Sn/Ge(111) two-dimensional triangular lattice, R. Cortés, A. Tejeda, J. Lobo-Checa, C. Didiot, B. Kierren, D. Malterre, J. Merino, F. Flores, E. G. Michel, and A. Mascaraque, Phys. Rev. B 88, 125113, (2013). [URL]
3. Determination of the photoelectron reference plane in nanostructured surfaces, J. Lobo-Checa, A. Mugarza, J. E. Ortega, and E.G. Michel, New Journal of Physics 13, 103013, (2011). [URL]
4. Structural Origin of the Sn 4d Core Level Line Shape in Sn/Ge(111)−(3×3, A. Tejeda, R. Cortés, J. Lobo-Checa, C. Didiot, B. Kierren, D. Malterre, E. G. Michel, and A. Mascaraque, Phys. Rev. Lett. 100, 026103, (2008). [URL]
5. Observation of a Mott Insulating Ground State for Sn/Ge(111) at Low Temperature, R. Cortés, A. Tejeda, J. Lobo, C. Didiot, B. Kierren, D. Malterre, E. G. Michel, and A. Mascaraque, Phys. Rev. Lett. 96, 126103, (2006). [URL]
6. Tuning the Surface State Dimensionality of Cu Nanostripes, J. Lobo, E. G. Michel, A. R. Bachmann, S. Speller, J. Kuntze, and J. E. Ortega, Phys. Rev. Lett. 93, 137602, (2004). [URL]
7. Phonon Softening, Chaotic Motion, and Order-Disorder Transition in Sn/Ge(111), D. Farías, W. Kamiński, J. Lobo, J. Ortega, E. Hulpke, R. Pérez, F. Flores, and E. G. Michel, Phys. Rev. Lett. 91, 016103, (2003). [URL]